Queenie (Eileen) Melldrum nee Newberry and Eliza were sisters of Mary Carey who regularly frequent the Carey family. Queenie lived at Little Hampton and later moved to Kentown in the City. Eliza was a secretary for Malcolm & Co, a machinery business.
James Carey was the son of John Francis and Annie Carey. Jim worked on the railway at Currency Creek and later moved to Coonalpyn where he married Mary Elizabeth Newberry. Later he moved to Binnum and Hynam - but as Jim said "we all when home to our parents for Christmas no matter where we were to paint the house!"- referring to his brothers and sisters: Annie1884 -1965, Jack 1885 - 1963, William and Mabel. Jim and Mary purchased a farmlet (80 acres) at Hynam.
James and Mary had 5 children: Claude, Doris Maude (Bartlett), Ella May (Hake), Ron Douglas and Joan (McClory). Ella, Ron and Joan were born at the Naracoorte Hospital. The children attended the local Hynam School (one classroom for all).
Six years before his retirement James and Mary moved to Adelaide and bought a beautiful Federation style house at 37 Albermarle Street, West Hindmarsh 5007. His youngest daughter Ella May (Hake) lived with them after her husband Burt died. Burt Hake died not long after he returned from the War. He suffered an unexpected heart attack. Doris Maude Bartlett his eldest daughter lived nearby at 4 Ponsonby Street, West Hindmarsh.
James worked for the railways, first as a packer, then ganger and then special ganger.
James was a good cricket player, in particular an excellent slow bowler. He would often use the rail tri-cycle to get to the local cricket matches (this was quite illegal). On one occasion the tri-cycle collided with a train and he broke his hip. He was such a good cricketer that he was not sacked - in fact the "big wigs" in town squashed the incident. They even took up a collection to help him "keep afloat" while he was off work for 6 months. He won two medals. One for best bowler and the other for best batting average.
In 1942 James and Mary moved to Hindmarsh working as a ganger for the Woodville to Port Adelaide line. James changed careers in 1943 working as a wool machinist for Mitchell's & Sons for 2 years. In the last 3 years of his working life James started up his own business. He worked in partnership with Danny Homes as a pipe fitter, installing petrol pumps in the metro and country areas.
James and Mary celebrated 60 years of marriage receiving a letter from Queen Elizabeth as acknowledgement.